13 October 2016

Now here is an odd thing!

Now here is an odd thing. Today is Aldi and Pets at Home Day. I walk to the bus stop, catch a bus, shop and have a Radio Cars Mini-cab home as I am heavy laden. Sometimes I go to B&Q as well for it is nearby. And I am looking forward to the day's outing!
For 57 years off married life I went to a supermarket once, perhaps twice a year with Yvonne. Now I go every week. I would not say that I disliked going but it was a chore. Today - I love it! I go to Sainsbury's once a month for the things Aldi do not stock (Glowhite for my handkerchiefs and tea towels and towels, Berocca to give me daily energy - and sometimes I might treat myself to something naughty to eat but I am not going to say what it might be!).
I mentioned this to Heather when my daughter rang me early this morning on her way to her office - as she does every work day. Heather said it is because it gets me out of the house and I talk to people. Yes, I do talk - to the lady in Pets at Home who insists I wait for the cab inside the shop if it is cold. Kindly lady indeed. I also talk to the ladies in B&Q when I go there, but the staff in Aldi are far too busy to stop for a chat as they load the shelves with a variety of things I will never buy, such as felling axes (in Newbury Park?), extending ladders, a variety of clothing that seems to have been knitted for oversized ladies and skinny men, and so many other bits and pieces the like of which you would not see anywhere else.
But the food is good quality. After all green bananas are green bananas, cheese is these and washing up liquid is the same the world over. I buy my meat at the friendly butcher in Leyswood Drive, where the Irish proprietor gives me superb service and reasonable prices with a merry twinkle in his eye!
Hey Ho! Oft Aldi we go! And Pets at Home too, of course.