12 February 2018

Tins and things

I have just spent a happy ten minutes moving some handkerchiefs merrily around a pan of boiling water containing Fairy Non Bio and Wilko Stain Remover, using a wooden spoon which is now almost white, whilst a machine-load of other washing gurgled away. I have learned that such a pan has to be watched or it boils over. This did not happen today.

As I did so my eyes alighted on a box of Dr Bechmann’s Original Colour Run Remover. I have never used the contents. I believe the box has been there for at least three and a half years for I have never ever purchased such a thing. I read the instructions. I am none the wiser. I have returned the box to its rightful place beside the Glowhite (which I use every week and sometimes twice in a week).

That Colour Run Remover is a bit like the half-dozen tins of miscellaneous foods I discovered on the top shelf at the back of the bottom cupboard under the worktop in the kitchen. I rarely - if ever - go to that cupboard and never ever to the top shelf at the back. I had a peep last week - to discover that all the tins were firmly stuck to the shelf. Prising them off, the use-by dates were 2014. Horror of horrors. Do not please tell the family for they will have me whisked off somewhere to be sorted out - or worse!

There are, of course, files in my office that I have not opened for yonks, but keep quiet about that too. At least they do not stick to the shelves and they are all, without a doubt, archives of intrinsic value that cannot be calculated. Thanks!

PS There are no other tins of that vintage in the house. I have checked.