29 May 2019

Buggy ride .. .

It is a fact that I would not have made a competent driver of motorised transport.  And today proved it! I tried to learn to drive in my early twenties, but could not remember which was the brake and which the accelerator - a common fault, I gather, in those olden times of the 50s among a small percentage of the population (some say by the more intelligent, but I would not dare to repeat such a whimsical statement in public).  But in any case, I wanted to marry and buy a house - so a car was out of the question.

Today I had a telephone consultation with my GP, who has decided that in - addition to using the nebuliser as and when during the day - I am to have two tablets of steroids every day. That should steady me up a bit.

Rejoicing in that news, I set off in the buggy to the pharmacy to collect the prescription and to do some shopping. The forecast said there might be a rain shower - so I took an umbrella just in case. All went well as  I rode merrily along Oaks Lane, Chase Lane, Perryman’s Farm Road and into Aldi. 

Then I crossed Horns Road (at the traffic lights) and entered Britannia Pharmacy to purchase some personal bottles and sprays to ensure that I project a pleasing aroma. Here a spied a young lady stacking shelves, so I asked her where I might find such things. But when I followed her I reversed instead of going ahead and crashed into a display stand - which, fortunately, was robust enough to remain where it had stood since early morning. The young lady laughed. Nothing broken. Driving towards the cash desk, I somehow became immersed in the straps that marked the area where the queue forms - and had to be rescued by the same young lady. Who smiled and laughed again. I think it made her day.

Next stop B & Q. I decided to ride round the store to find the items I needed, rather than park outside and push a trolley. I safely navigated where I had to go, but found that the plants I wanted to buy were on the outdoor car park. I started to leave the store - but being Wednesday when B & Q Club Members are afforded 10% discounts, the till area was crowded. 

It was here that I fear I lost my presence of mind!

Reversing, I spotted what I thought were automatic exit barriers. They were not. They were entry barriers. I tried to go through but the barriers were having none of it - and set off screeching alarms. Now what is very odd is that not a single member of staff came over. It was left to a young male shopper to extricate me from the barriers, which were giving my arms a fair battering. I drove out, accompanied  by the alarms making a cacophony of sound that had fellow shoppers standing in awe as they waited for the arrival of the police - who never came.

I parked. Walked to pick up the plants. Back inside I paid. Outside I mounted the buggy and set off. Smiling at all around (for what else do you do?) I was off to Perryman’s Farm Road and Chase Lane at maximum speed (4mph). And here came the rain. Fishing the umbrella from beneath the bananas, grapes and cake (yes, cake!), I set off for home. It was an amusing journey in that passers-by smiled and, in one or two cases, laughed aloud at this old chap careering along with a brolly aloft. I must look into an all-weather canopy for the buggy, although I guess some folk had a tale to tell their friends in the pub this evening. 

Happy Days indeed!