29 November 2016

My most embarrassing moment occurred today!

If I am ever asked to say what was my most embarrassing moment, it happened today at about 12.50pm.
I went to Ilford and London to do some Christmas shopping. Waterstones for books and a book token and somewhere else for a token but I will not name the shop or it will give the game away! Then to St. Paul's Cathedral where their shop has some great stuff. Having made my purchases, I decided to spend a few minutes in the Cathedral - being a Friend of St. Paul's means I have free entry at anytime. I have only visited once as a tourist - with my step-grandson and his girl friend. I wanted to read the bill boards for the Great Fire of London 350th anniversary - which I did. As I passed under the Dome, an announcement was made that the Eucharist would be celebrated in 10 minutes - so I decided to sit quietly and wait for the service to begin.
All went well - for I find a great sense of peace in that massive space - until I rose to move forward to take the sacrament. At that point my mobile went off!
Now if you have heard my new iPhone ring you will know that this is no ordinary sound - but something resembling a brass band backed by a 70 strong symphony orchestra and the Huddersfield Choral Society in full throttle.
Need I say more. Fortunately the celebrant was not one of the normal cathedral clergy so the incident will not have been noticed by those who smile at me and shake my hand.
The shame! The humiliation! But somehow I had the feeling that Yvonne had a good chuckle at my discomfort. And if that is so, I do not mind all that much after all!