15 December 2017

It must be Christmas

Hi Good Friends,

It must be Christmas, for I have just completed the third session of brass and copper cleaning, and there is only one more session to go - but that will have to wait till after the weekend because Richard and Stine are about to arrive from Norway for three nights stay in what has been described by family members as the best hotel in town, with special mention being made of the breakfasts.

As it is Christmas, let us leave alone the vexed question of whether or not you iron your tea towels, for this has driven a wedge between those who do and those who do not - thank you very much for asking!

Let us turn instead to those canvas/linen shopping bags. I have three. A heavy canvas bag with designs of Borough Market in bright green on both sides. Then there is the slightly-less-canvas-and-more-like-linen bag with the inscription ‘I love Redbridge’ and a recycling theme. The third is a linen bag from Aldeburgh in Suffolk - I bought this for Yvonne on our last visit there. 

If I use them for random shopping as opposed to the weekly shop (when I have large bags and a cool bag) they do tend to get a bit grubby as all are white/cream. So they have to be washed from time to time and then - ironed! Well, there is no way I am going be seen in Borough Market with a creased shopping bag - for you would not be able to make out the game pies and cheeses and other delights sketched on the sides. And I would be ashamed to be seen in Ilford Town Centre with my Redbridge bag if this was not as smart as a new pin. And the sketches of Aldeburgh only stand out to their best advantage when the bag is ironed. And very fine they all look, I would have you know. They are available for inspection as they sit waiting on the table on the hall, keen to get out on their next expedition to Borough, Romford, Columbia Road, Ilford or wherever. 

I do have some problems with the linen handles for they are not the easiest things to iron without burning your fingers. Washed yesterday, they were ironed this very morning - and good they look too, I would have you know Cedric.

I will not ask my readers whether or not they iron their canvas/linen bags. I fear that I might get my comeuppance even if it is nearly Christmas - the time off goodwill and all that. I have taken more than enough flack over the tea towels, I can tell you!

Regards and Happy Felicitations to you all!

Ron