23 October 2018

A bit of nostalgia





















Today I had a bit of nostalgia. Alighting at the Bank Station, I walked up Cornhill - as I did every weekday and some Saturday mornings from 1956 to 1968 when working at the Cornhill Insurance Company. The words above the Royal Exchange stood out every day - "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof". The Lloyds Bank where I started banking is no more - now it houses a shop selling soaps. And the Cornhill Insurance sign is still above the carved door - but the offices are occupied by nondescript companies and the Insurance has disappeared. I called into the church of St. Peter to admire the stained glass - something I did not do when I worked nearby! On to Leadenhall Market, which no longer seems to sell meat and vegetables but caters for the bankers with loads of money to spend on eating.

I had booked at the Sky Garden and was whisked up 35 floors in a lift that did not seem to move at all. The view was stupendous - and all for free! The photographs speak for themselves. Home on the Number 15 bus and the Docklands Light Railway - where I sat in the front from Tower Gateway and pretended I was driving. Magic!