23 November 2018

As I grew older . . .

As I grow older every day, I make a conscious effort not to become a grumpy old man, but there are some things that irritate me. I will get them off my chest here, if I may, when I will feel a lot better and radiate happiness to all who meet me - and to some who pass by on the other side.

There are three things that make me more sad than annoyed.

Firstly, I object to ladies using their baby buggies as potential battering rams. I walked through Ilford Town Centre this morning as part of my weekly shop and was forced to leap (well, not leap, just move swiftly) out of their way as ladies came sailing through with buggies out front. Some were on their mobiles, whilst others were chatting to friends and the rest were just determined to get where they wanted without a care in the world.

Secondly, I object to folk who have their mobiles in hand and faces down as they walk towards me - again, forcing me to swiftly get out of their way. Collisions would occur, but for the fact that I am alert to the possible danger.

Finally, you will be relieved to hear, I object to folk who cross the road at controlled traffic lights when the indication is that pedestrians should wait for the green man to light up. Often these are ladies with buggies out in front. I feel for the drivers who have to avoid these idiots and would be blamed were there to be an accident. I am sometimes forced to shout: "Wait for the green man", but when I do so, folk look at me as if I am the one who is mad! I am especially prone to do this at Ilford Broadway. One day, I fear, someone will hit me with their walking frame or give me a nasty nudge with their walking stick. But I will not be intimidated in this way.

I feel better now so I will cook my supper and look forward to watching 'Have I got news for you' as it is Friday night. In my youth Friday was bath night, but I have not had a bath for some thirty years (no, do not worry - I shower instead and not just on Friday night).

Have a good weekend, my friend, and thank you for reading so far.