7 November 2018

Not the day I had hoped for!

Today did not work out in the way I had hoped! The first part was fine but . . .

Leaving home around two this afternoon noon, I took the TfL train from Ilford to Liverpool Street as the Central Line was on strike - then the 26 bus to St. Paul's. Arriving at around 3pm, I queued in the rain! Evensong was being broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 from 3.30pm. The congregation was smaller than usual on a weekday and most of us were taken into the choir stalls. As ever the music was inspiring and the peace I find there is something I cannot explain - for the building is vast and allows me to get lost alone.

The rain had stopped when the service was over so I caught the number 15 bus to the Tower of London. Here I had hoped to see the display of light, having enjoyed the poppies some four years ago that filled the moat. But the crowds . . .

Leaving the bus, I found that there were crowd barriers along the pavements with the crossing points manned by security - even so there were idiots who ran across while the pedestrian lights were at red! On the pavement we had to keep walking until the area in front of the shops - where there were the grid lines that you see at airports to marshal the crowds. I joined the queue but after 20 minutes I was still in the same grid - and there were about seven more to go! I decided that if I continued I might be caught in a crowd with no way of escape and that could be dangerous at my age!

I guess the poppies were on display all day whereas the lights are from dusk till late evening. There was no way I could face the long standing and the crush. I understand that tickets were on sale prior to the event which gave access to the moat itself. I wish I had known this. The only consolation was that I could hear the music!

From Tower Gateway I travelled on the Docklands Light Railway to Stratford - something I have not done before in the dark. This was so exciting - especially as from Tower Gateway to Poplar I had seat at the front and could imagine I was the driver. The lights of Docklands are stunning at night. So if I did not see the lights at the Tower I enjoyed a light display on the DLR! Home to a bowl of hot nourishing soup - green pea and mint from Aldi and my favourite with toast.

Sorry - no photographs!