27 March 2018

London in the sunshine







Yesterday was warm and sunny, so I travelled into London - the weather has been too cold for me to make many visits to the Cathedral this year. Time to take a few photographs from different angles, taking in the spring blossom and flowers. I try to catch a red bus in as many shots as I can. The spire next to the Cathedral is now part of the choir school - I believe.
I sat out in the warm sunshine and then went to Evensong at 5pm. I now know the score - if you sit under the Dome on the left, at 4.45pm the Wandsmen allow some 60 into the choir stalls. As ever the choristers singing was just great and the peace was good. Often those sitting next to me speak to me, but not today. On one side was a Chinese lady and on the other a young man from Eastern Europe. Both smiled but had little English. I smiled back - as you do.
Heather suggested I came home by a different route - the 76 bus to Tottenham Hale Bus Station and the 123 to Ilford. It took about two hours - but I went through places I did not now existed! Stamford Hill, for example, where the Strict Jewish Gentlemen wear black suits, white shirts and top hats. And the small boys the same. And some of the shops! I am going back again during the daytime to get off at one or three bus stops to explore. One block of flats had allotments in front - with crops growing up poles. I managed to have seats at the front on the top deck on both buses. The young lady on the 76 next to me spent most of the time on her mobile, but as she alighted she turned to me and wished me a good evening. The man on the 123 sitting next to me slept all the way to Ilford.