17 September 2018

In the genes!

An email on a Monday morning

Hi Family,

I believe there is something in the genes of the Jeffries Clan that makes them workaholics. 

My father, who died at the age of 51 in 1951, worked six-and-a-half days a week at times in the 30s in my youth, coming home at noon on Sundays to lunch and the garden. Then when we had two allotments in Seven Kings Park during the 1939-1945 War, he worked five-and-a-half days, spending Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday on the allotments - with me as his goffer, looking after the rabbits.

During my working life, I worked in the City first and every spare moment was then taken up with Scouting - more a full-time job than a hobby!  For the eleven years on SCOUTING magazine, I left home about 7.30am weekdays returning home after 9pm most evenings - and spent three out of four weekends away from home travelling the country speaking. On MILK INDUSTRY, it was nine to five - but then I freelanced, wrote books and articles, and was at court.. Retirement has been busy - I wonder how I ever had time work!

Graham leaves home early for the office and returns home late evening, going by train or air to offices around the country and staying overnight at times. I know he takes works home too. His weekends are busy by all accounts. Heather is on the bus at 6.45am and home to cook a meal in the early evening. Heather works on the buses and takes work home. Weekends are busy around the home and with work taken home. Richard leaves home early morning and works evenings and weekends in the garden and on the house. Both Graham and Richard share the cooking.

All the spouses live hectic, busy lives - which I will not dare to comment upon for I am only writing here about my kids! 

I was once invited to lecture at a Scout Association international seminar in Switzerland on ‘Leisure'. My friends thought it was a joke and laughed and laughed hysterically..

Just a few random thoughts to make you all smile on the Monday morning. Nothing serious. 

I must now boil the whites before washing them with Glowhite, then a full machine with coloureds! After all, it is Monday morning which was always washday when I was a kid. Every house in Church Road had a full washing line on Mondays when the mangle was taken from the garden shed to be put to good use - and some small child made to turn the handle.

Love

Dad/Ron/Granddad/Greatgranddad

PS This is NOT going on FACEBOOK or INSTAGRAM

PPS Have a good day

PPPS And do not work too hard.