22 September 2018

The People's Walk for Wildlife - in the rain!
















Today Chris and Margaret invited me to join them on the People's Walk for Wildlife. The rally was in Hyde Park where Chris Packham launched his manifesto, with speakers ranging in age from 16 upwards. Brilliant - with great passion and common sense. Billy Bragg and a young lady singer (who everyone except me seemed to know) sang great songs. One sticks in my mind - where the words included: You build walls, we build bridges (a sentiment that will stay with me). The forecast was for a fine morning with rain from 4pm. But when we arrived at Marble Arch at 11am it was sending it down in buckets. ! stayed till just after 1pm by which time I was cold from my toes upwards. I did not join the walk to Downing Street - sadly - but sense told me to go home and I had to agree. I was almost frozen. A bowl of hot soup, a shower and a couple of hours in bed revived me - and Socks was pleased to see me home again. Thanks Chris and Margaret for your company - and for completing the walk. You were right when you said I go on demonstrations - and this was a new one for me. I will go again - and hope the sun shines. Now for some Horlicks!