22 February 2019

The mystery of the disappearing pillow cases

Two Fridays ago, Daphne, my ever so helpful cleaner, made my bed - I find duvet covers almost impossible to fit and Daphne is happy enough taking on the task every two weeks.

Earlier I had removed the red bedding set, washed it and placed it out for drying and ironing (the pillow cases only - I do not iron duvet covers or bottom fitted sheets, but after drying I fold them with care).

I laid out the purple set - fitted sheet, duvet cover and two pillow cases. But Daphne called me as there were no pillow cases. But I remember laying them on top of the fitted sheet and duvet cover. But Daphne assured me that they were not there. So I found two floral pillow cases and these were duly fitted. Cream with flowers. Not me really, but the devil takes the hindmost . . .

I assumed that the two purple pillow cases must have been left on the bed and covered by the fitted sheet - although I could not feel them. Perhaps they were inside the duvet cover and all would be revealed in two weeks when I stripped the bed for washing.

Today I did just that - but no purple pillow cases were revealed. And I did look very hard. Even under the bed where storage boxes hold lots of goodies and the Christmas lights and decorations.

So where are the two purple pillow cases, I ask myself? Is there a fairy in the house who takes pillow cases? Has Socks purloined them for his safe haven upstairs - which only he can reach at present until I take on the next phase of paper clearing in the office. Have they taken a walk? Can pillow cases walk?

Your guess is as good as mine, but Daphne assures me that they will turn up one day. Meantime, I can feel a visit to Dunelm Mill coming on to replace the two purple pillow cases, for I am unsure if I could take another two weeks with florals! The red and purple sets were purchased when Heather took me to Dunelm shortly after Yvonne passed away as it was considered that the cream and white bedding was a bit too feminine for me.

Any ideas would be much appreciated - or Dunelm Mill here I come!