21 September 2016

The Grandfather Clock is chiming again!

I sent this email to my friend Janet this morning:

Following your visit yesterday afternoon with Connie-The-Clock-Doctor, our Grandfather Clock is alive and well again and chiming like there was no tomorrow! I can’t tell you how relieved I am to see the second hand moving purposefully, whilst the minute hand chugs around and the hour hand waits majestically for its moment of glory when it touches twelve and the chimes sounds out (well, only one at one ‘o’clock but after that the correct number).

Looking closely at the face this morning in the clear light of day, I can see that the two big hands stand out from the face. No longer do they argue with each other like two spoilt children fighting over the last sweet in the bowl, nor do they rub against each other as you might have done when the cry went up in the War (1939-45 in case you are wondering) that there were sticky buns at the Co-op and you were sent to join the queue.

That Lady is a Genius! Let there be no doubt about that. After an hour or so and two cups of tea, Connie-The-Clock-Doctor had Grandfather working like the old days. It has been silent for some months and that was just not right!

Please pass my felicitations and my sincere thanks to Connie. Wonderful. Just wonderful!

You will see that I am copying this to my three children, the eldest of whom will inherit the Grandfather in due time, when the Big Clock In Heaven strikes and my Number is Up. The said Clock is believed to be about 200 years old - made in Suffolk in the early 19th Century and a family heirloom owned by Yvonne’s Father, Ted Friend, Millwright and Estate Carpenter, Aldringham, Suffolk. Heather gets the jewellery (what’s left of it anyway) and the Waterford Glass Collection (purchased and received as gifts in the 1970s and 1980s when these things were affordable - just) and Richard will ship off to Norway ITV Artist Priscilla’s artist’s impression of Charlie Kray in the Dock and me on the Bench at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court in 1996 (which will increase in value as the years go by as sure as eggs are eggs).

But back to the Clock. Connie said that it needs oiling every five years but not to use UB40 which would seize up the works never to go again! I do not recall every oiling the clock with anything, so would you please pass my sincere thanks to Connie and ask her if she would please be good enough to call at some time to do the oiling. And I will have another cup of tea standing by - no sugar but just a dash of milk like the builders have!

I missed the chime at seven writing this upstairs in the office, but I will stand by at eight! It could bring tears to the eyes, I should warn you!

Regards

Ron