8 May 2017

It seems like last week . . .

On Sunday morning, just before 9am, I was on my way to St. Paul's Cathedral when a lady sat beside me on the 66 bus, having been to service at the Catholic church in Newbury Park. The lady recognised me and after a few seconds, I realised it was Rachel (not real name) from the magistrates' court.

As a member of the Lord Chancellors Advisory Committee and later Bench Chairman, I had been one of two magistrates to interview Rachel in her home prior to the court interview and eventual appointment. I recalled that when meeting with Rachel in her home, her daughter aged 18 months or so sat on her lap throughout the time we were there and would not leave her Mother. It was the only time I ever interviewed a prospective magistrate and her young daughter at the same time!

How old is your daughter now, I asked Rachel on the bus? I had in mind that she might be at school . . .

Twenty-four, Rachel told me! My how time flies! 

I still cannot believe to was all that time ago for to seems like only last week . . .