18 September 2017

Relaxing in Norway




Back from a week with my youngest son, Richard, and his lovely Norwegian wife, Stine, in their beautiful home across the fjord from Oslo. As both were working, I spent a relaxing week in and about their home. I read two complete books - including one that has been on my mind to read for almost a year but needed the space to take it in small bites as it was hard going at times.
I took my camera - but left the disc at home that takes 500 shots! So I will only publish just these three. The first shows the lane leading to their home with Oslo in the far background; the second is the area of decking outside their front door and the last is the view of Oslo in the background. The house is a marvel - all designed by Richard who did much of the hard work himself. The weather was very mixed - brilliant sunshine one moment then lashing rain.
I am a little nervous in a country where I do not speak the language, so I only ventured out alone twice. First I went to the shopping mall, travelling by bus. I made some purchases successfully.
On my last day I went by bus and ferry to Oslo, spending the afternoon around the Town Hall and waterside. I love the gardens near the Town Hall. On one of our first visits, Yvonne and I picked French Marigold seed heads which I dried. We had the flowering plants for a number of summers afterwards! I picked three heads on Friday and have dried the seeds at home - I will plant them up in the spring as a reminder of Norway.
Richard and Stine met me in the late afternoon. We had dinner at a new fish restaurant near the ferry terminal - delicious!
One evening Richard and I walked to the water's edge, sitting by the changing huts where he goes swimming all year round - breaking the ice if need be. Brave lad! Heavy rain had filled some of the rowing boats with water and men were bailing them out. The view across the fjord to Oslo is breathtakingly beautiful.
On my return Richard came with me to the airport. The board stated that my flight to London Stansted would be from Area F so off I trotted. On arrival the board told me to go to gate F23 where there was a long queue which I joined. On reaching the check-in desk the lady asked me if I really wanted to go toe Dubai - for that was where the flight would take me. My flight would not board for an hour!
I duly lined up again and was checked in to gate F23 where I sat waiting - only to be told that there was a gate change to F14.
Heather very kindly took me to Stansted and met me on my return. A kind daughter indeed!
A good relaxing time - I look forward to my next visit!