16 January 2018

I have a letter in THE GUARDIAN

I am feeling quite overwhelmed. In fact, I am, sat sitting here at my desk in wonderment of delight!

We old codgers enjoy simple pleasures. The sight of a red sky at night. The sound of a sparrow singing away in the garden. The first snowdrops. And, wonder of wonders, a letter in THE GUARDIAN!

On Monday THE GUARDIAN, which I have read for the past 64 years or so, went tabloid. Yes, after 197 years it now fits snugly on my breakfast table - not that I have read it for 197 years, of course.

Ploughing through the new format on Monday. I was thunderstruck to find that my GUARDIAN no longer told me what the weather was doing in Oslo, where youngest son, Richard, and his Norwegian wife, Stine, live. And so I felt duty bound to write a letter. And there it is. In print. In THE GUARDIAN!

The letter reads: 'New tabloid format fine, but you have omitted Oslo from the weather. I can no longer tell my son, who lives there, whether or not it is snowing.'

So there it is. My fourth letter in THE GUARDIAN. And all have been of two sentences and no more. Brevity is the key, I guess.

Have a good day. Now to enjoy the rest of the paper . . . where all my favourite writers are there to enjoy. What a lucky lad I am to be sure!