10 January 2018

Ironing board!


Yesterday the ironing board collapsed in a great heap. The legs may just be seen though the kitchen door in the shot here. Off I went this morning to Ilford to seek out a replacement. I examined a few, I can tell you, but in the end I settled for a Saturn by Minky Homecare - as seen in my kitchen in all its glory.

This UK manufacturer of Homewares and Laundry was established in 1941, I would have you know. I surmised that having been around for some 76 years they are probably reputable. Then I spotted that the company is By Appointment not merely to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II but also to HRH The Prince of Wales as manufacturers of cleaning and laundry products. That clinched things for me. If it is good enough for HM The Queen and Young Charles, it’s good enough for me - although I have serious doubts as to whether or not either of them have ever used an ironing board or even know what one is!

I  noted that it has 'steam safe iron angle, superior steam efficient foam backing, sturdy 4-leg design and steam flow mesh system’. How could I possibly go wrong, for this is clearly an ironing board of repute. Made in the United Kingdom, there is a one year guarantee - so I will keep the packing carefully just in case anything goes wrong. I note that I have to 'run a hot steam iron over the cover before use’ and that I may go onto the Minty website for further details, but I doubt I will need to do this for everything seems to be in good order.

The London Borough of Redbridge will be collecting my old ironing board on Friday 19th January as part of their bulk collection service. I had considered keeping the old metal structure and hanging flower pots upon it - but it is beyond such use I fear. That is life, as the art mistress said to the gardener, or was it the bishop who said that to the actress?