4 April 2018

Keys

This morning I could not find my Number One Set of Front Door Keys!  It was not a major problem as I have a Number Two Set of Front Door Keys on the bookcase in the hall.

I looked everywhere. They hang on a chain. Each morning when I dress I take them from the dressing table and hook them on my trousers and they stay there all day till I go to bed. I was once caught in the porch with the inner door shut behind me and no keys to unlock the main door. Fortunately I had my mobile so could ring Jean-over-the-road, who has the third set of keys (Heather has the fourth set). If I did not have my mobile, I could have been stuck there like a goldfish in a glass bowl!

I looked and searched but no First Set, so I took the Second Set and attached them to the spare chain (I keep spares of most things, well you do at my age!).

Washed, shaved and about to dress, I took my trousers from the press - and there hanging from the belt tag were the Number One Set of Front Door Keys! I could not have removed them last evening and placed them on the dressing table when I retired for the night. Stupid Boy, as Captain Mainwaring would have said (I am a fanatical follower of Dad’s Army in case you wondered). 

So what of today now that the keys have been found (and remain attached to my trousers)? A week or two ago I took Heather’s advice and travelled home from Evensong at St. Paul’s Cathedral on the 76 bus to Tottenham Hale Bus Station and thence by 123 to Ilford. It was a fascinating journey, taking just under three hours, through parts of London I did not know existed. Stamford Hill was amazing. And there were shops the like of which I never imagined would be in London - or anywhere for that matter. In front of one block of flats were some allotments with garden canes of some six to ten feet in height up which plants were growing.

And so today I have decided to do the journey in the reverse. I will board a bus to Gants Hill, then mount the 123 for the hour or so journey to Tottenham Hale Bus Station (which has to be seen to be believed) and then the 76 to St. Paul’s - the latter could take anything up to two hours. I may take my camera with me for there are sights to be seen which need to be recorded for the doubters. I may get off if there is time at one or two points on the 76 route to explore - but that will depend very much on the time, of course.

Meantime, have a good day!