21 January 2017

It never rains but it pours!

Briefly what has happened over the past few days may (or may not) cause you to squirm or sink to your knees in a flood of anguish and tears - but the story has to be told so here goes! this.
On Friday morning I woke at 6am and turned on the bedside lamp. There was a great bang! I had blown the main fuse. Brian Kerrison was very helpful but came to the conclusion that something major had happened. (Thanks Brian - most grateful for your help.) UK Power came out and replaced the main fuse at about 10.30am. I rang an electrician while they were here. He came in the PM and spent time here but told me he could get the lights on but not the power. I need a rewire. I then rang Homeserve with whom I insure for all sorts of things regarding the house. Their man came at 7.30pm. He said the same. 
I spent the evening and night with Heather and Robert as the house was very cold. (Thanks for that both of you - it was so good to get warm again!) Rob has a friend who is a qualified electrician and works with Rob on equipment when a qualified electrician is required to check stuff. Rob told me that his friend will come hereon Saturday nto see what needs to be done. He and Rob would work on this together and Rob would do any necessary redecoration. Meantime Nicholas, Jean and Val have been a great help. They have re-commissioned their chest freezer and I have moved all my stuff from freezers there - so I have access to frozen foods! Nicholas spent a couple of hours here on Saturday morning when he found out that there is power in the summerhouse! He has run a cable from the summer house to my office where I now have access to my iMac and he has installed an electric heater under the desk - and I have the telephone working and my mobile - so what more could an old chap want when he is galloping towards 84! Phew! That's a relief to be able get back to the keyboard again and be warm. (Many thanks Nicholas - most grateful for all that you have done for me).
I am grateful to all my family and friends for their help. Last evening I had my first soak in a bath for about 20 years - and might have used their shower this evening for I do not want to get used to taking a bath! Socks was pleased to see me this morning. He stayed indoors over night.
I have to tell you that throughout Saturday I have been wearing the dark brown Onesie I bought at last weekend’s Coffee Morning for a fiver. It was new in its pack from Dunelm no less - and is so lovely and warm. One of my neighbours called - and was somewhat taken aback to see me in a Onesie with two ears! But I do not really care as long as I am warm!
Ken, the electrician, came this afternoon. He has given me temporary heating and will return on Sunday to make this permanent. He says he will be able to complete the rest of the work in about a week to ten days' time - Rob will give a hand. Heather and Rob came over with Ken - and late this afternoon we started to move some of the furniture in my office to make way for the cables which will have ro run under the floor on Sunday.
What would I do without my family and friends? Now for an early night!