31 August 2017

I have made an apple crumble . . .

I have made an apple crumble. More correctly, an apple crumble is in a baking tin in the oven after baking for 30 minutes at gas mark 6 (20 minutes was just not enough I decided). I intend heating up a portion of this in the microwave oven for my supper (one minute maximum.)

The apples came from the Dick Turpin orchard, picked last Saturday and frozen after stewing. The recipe came from Margaret, although as Heather said there is probably a recipe in one of Yvonne's library of cook books - but I just do not have the guts to go to the shelf and look.

It looks alright, although Margaret did say that the top would be golden brown. Mine is sort of - yellowish. I defrosted the stewed apples before placing in the greased baking tin to heat through before I put the crumble on top.

I will let you know how it all works out, but I do not think I will take up baking seriously. The mess! Self-raising flour and butter mixed to resemble bread crumbs may be easy for some, but it all looked great when I added the sugar - lots of sugar, I would add. The flour and butter stuck to my hands and the taps and my trousers. But I did it!