29 August 2017

Notting Hill Carnival 2017





























The Notting Hill Carnival as seen from top of the float on which Rob, my son-in-law, had his sound systems. Rob is seen in one shot talking to one of the DJs explaining what the microphone is for, I guess! Heather, my daughter, is seen with Luke's friend, Miles and Rob. Heather feels the responsibility of taking her 84-year-old father to an events such as this - it weighs very heavily on the poor lass so I have to behave. I am allowed to get off the float once we are on it, nor may I be cheeky to policemen (that instruction came in a text from my eldest son while we were there!). Sadly I could not stand to listen to a steel band, nor did we see all the colourful costumes - but there were many compensations - such as the fact that we did not have to walk all the time from 9am till 6pm! My legs are just recovering from the five miles we did walk to and from the car. The atmosphere was terrific with laughter and smiles and cheers all the way. The music is deafening! And the one minute silence for Grenfell was so moving. A few minutes before 3pm I could not see how it would work, but there was complete silence so that you could hear a pin drop for a whole minute - then the sounds started so that your rib cage jumped about and very nearly left your body! I have been for many years - and would not miss it if I can help it. But being taken there and brought back is such a help. Thanks a million Heather! And well done Rob once more.
Do spot the charges for the toilet - ranging from £1 to £3 - and £5 to jump the queue!