30 August 2016

Some thoughts on the Notting Hill Carnival

Shortly I will post a selection of some of the 400 or so shots I took on Bank Holiday Monday at the Notting Hill Carnival. Some are of family - you may recognise them or you may not! - others are of the crowd - and some show the good natured policemen enjoying a day in the sun with a crowd who were out enjoy themselves. I only saw three incidents when the police were dealing with problems - two of which were stop and search of kids aged about 14 - black - who took what they had to do without causing any problems - obviously used to this. Interesting that in one case a member of the public spoke to one of the boys as he was waiting for his friend - he was black too. One arrest of an older man who was drunk. There was a massive police presence in Latimer Road but elsewhere hardly any police to be seen and some of those who were there joined in the fun, whilst others looked as if they would rather be at home! You will see parts of the truck on which I rode on the roof - with Rob's sound system. I must ask him to bring along a Petula Clarke CD next year! The crowd and onlookers in their homes were all good natured - a great event with lots of loud music, astonishing cooking aroma (I was not allowed to leave the truck for fear I might get lost - so I had my own food with me!). Heather is to be congratulated on putting up with her irascible father for some 17 hours of daylight and darkness. I hope the photographs give you some idea of the sheer fun of the day. I would not have missed it for anything - and I will give Heather a big hug when I see her for taking me - and bringing me back!