29 March 2017

An evening with David Suchet

I have long held the belief that I learn something new every day. Now I have no doubt whatsoever that you know what I am about to tell you, but the fact is that I did not. Verily, I say, I knew it not!

I spent last evening at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London to hear David Suchet, the actor (probably best known for his portrayal of Poirot on TV) read the whole of the Gospel of St. Mark. Yes, all sixteen chapters, but - as he explained at the start - as a narrative, as a piece of news might have been read on the BBC or printed in the Daily Mail (had it existed and I pray not!) or THE GUARDIAN (yes, please). As a renowned actor, he made the whole story come alive as if the events unfolding were happening right now. It was an experience that had an authenticity and immediacy that is hard to define. It took two hours - but the time flew by, helped by a few sherbet lemons that I had secreted about my person and shared beforehand with others around me. (As a former choirboy, I always take a sweet to services for the sermon.)

And what did I learn? Well, lots in fact, but in particular that not only were the 5,000 fed but also some 4,000! I knew about the feeding of the 5,000 (St. Mark, Chapter 6, vv 44) with five loaves and two fishes but it came as a shot out of the blue when David Suchet read from Chapter 8, revealing that there were seven loaves and a few fishes and 4,000 at verse 9. Now I have no doubt that you knew this all along and will - in all probability - be smiling with that look of self-satisfaction that makes clear that you knew something that I did not! Alright, clever clogs. So be it!

I was accompanied by my good friend Paul Moynihan, who told me last evening that he joined my staff on SCOUTING Magazine on the 12th of April just 40 years ago next month. He keeps facts like this in his head, which must hurt at times but there it is! (He knew about the 5,000 and the 4,000, but then he would, would he not? Just like you, I suspect!) Paul is now Master of Ceremonies at Westminster Cathedral where, he tells me, he keeps the Cardinal on his toes and the clergy, the choir and lots of other folk tool And when he is not doing this, he is at the Central Hall Westminster keeping the Methodists in order. A gentleman sitting beside me from Chichester engaged Paul in a deep conversation once he realised that Paul was born a Roman Catholic. I was pleased Paul was there for the man would have left me speechless and struggling. His companion spent the entire evening sketching David Suchet. Both liked sherbet lemons.

Having been told by the suppliers of the tickets that we should arrive early as some 2,000 were expected, I left home in very good time, spending an hour or so sitting in the churchyard reading my book. At 4pm I mounted the steps and was told by a kindly lady of St. Paul’s that I could be the first in the queue. I was joined by an American Lady who informed me that she was with an airline and had flown into Heathrow three hours earlier, having often done so over recent years. The Lady might have been a pilot or a stewardess, I did not dare ask which for she was bigger than me. Another lady from St Martins-in-the-Fields then joined us. This is the first time I have ever been first in the queue for anything at St. Paul’s and I was thrilled beyond words at the honour. David Suchet arrived and walked within a few feet. The Dean and a couple of Canons stood chatting to bystanders. It was all very friendly.

Paul joined me just before five when we were told that if we wished to attend Evensong we could do so and if we had tickets for David Suchet - which we did - we could remain in our seats and not have to go to the back of the queue - which was getting longer by the minute! In we went and sat in the front row under the Dome, with a perfect view of the pulpit from which David Suchet would read. Evensong was sung by the choir magnificently and was a great aperitif to what was to come.

At six-thirty Canon Mark Oakley climbed the steps to the pulpit introduce David Suchet. Canon Oakley commented that a rumour was gaining credibility outside in the City of London that the reason why the queue was so long was because Beyonce would be performing live in St. Paul's. He asked those who would be disappointed to discover this was not so to leave quietly! And then the evening began. 

I journeyed home in a sort of trance, but managed to ring Radio Cars from Ilford Station to take me home - for my legs were beginning to get a bit wobbly. An amazing day.