2 March 2017

How did we live?

I have today managed to print my very first envelope on the iMac! I guess I have had the new machine for about nine months now - give or take a day or so. I have only today worked out how to print envelopes. Indeed it was something of a fluke that I did so - and I cannot remember how I did it, but I guess that now that I have done it once I will find out again! I just try soon or the skill will be lost for ever.

Where will it all end, I ask myself? When I retired some 19 years ago this month from working at home editing an international magazine, I had a photocopier, a fax machine and a PC that took about ten minutes to boot up. The dot matrix printer had been replaced by a laser printer and my first Amstrad was a memory (and not a very happy one at that).

A TV set the size of a fridge. No mobile phone. No credit cards. No debit card. Just cash. No ATMs. Queues in the bank for money. And cheques. No emails. No Facebook. No Blog. No digital photography. 

How did we live?

My first mobile was the size of a brick. I carried it round in a briefcase (and when did you last see anyone walking about with one of those?). My second was a Motorola - which I have just found stored away in my desk drawer. I showed it to Ken and Rob - who tell me it is valuable and that I should sell it on eBay! I will do some research for I could be in the money - and with the electrician working again today on the complete re-wiring of my house following the BIG BANG, I will need to be more than just in the money! I may need to rob a bank! (only joking!). But the family’s inheritance is taking a knocking, I can tell you! It will be bread and pull-it from now on. No more chocolate biscuits and Bramley Apple Pies. Scrooge has nothing on me!

Take care all of you!