14 March 2017

We shall not be moved!

If you are passing at anytime, please do drop in. I am usually up by just after 6am as Socks get restless and bites me. 
Do not call after 8pm for I may be having a shower or in my jim-jams.

By the way, the qualified electrician doing the rewiring in my house (where I have lived happily since 1962) insists that I have at least three power points in every room and a light on the rear wall overlooking the garden - the latter in case I go out there in the dark and fall over and no-one can find me. When I told him that I never go out there in the dark he was quite dismissive, telling me that I might do so one night. When I asked him how I would alert anyone to the fact that I have fallen over in the garden, he changed the subject. But he is a pleasant fellow and hard working so I must not grumble.

For the past 55 years or so all downstairs lights have been controlled from one panel in the hallway. The electrician tells me that this is not now permitted, which means I will have to re-learn where things are - and that could be a problem in the dark - and in the daytime, too, for that matter for learning things is not easy as you stumble towards 84.

The Electrician tells me that much of the wiring in my house has been illegal and I could have been arrested and given a life sentence had the authorities found out. It was, therefore, a good job that it all blew up early one morning and the Electrician is now sorting me out.

It is all too much. I may have to move. I understand that there are one or two care homes lined up, but I would have to sign an agreement not to mobilise the residents against the management for the least infringement of our human rights. I would find that difficult for I would wish to form a Care Home Defence Association if not on my first day, certainly by the end of the first week. We would parade daily with broom handles held aloft, singing that great song from the 50s 'We shall not be moved', with 'The Streets of London' for an encore. We would insist on cake every day- and two lots on Sundays. Happy Days!