7 March 2017

My reading today!

I popped into Foyles at Stratford City Westfield last week. I like Foyles - and one day I will go to the new shop in Tottenham Court Road, although it is hardly new but new to me. I walked past it once - the glass put me off for I remember the old two shops separated by a side road into Soho - and the dust and the grime.

I bought a book -  now there’s a surprise. Two things attracted me to the book. First, the title - The Secret Diary of Hendrick Green - 83 1/4years old. For I am 83 23/24 years old. Secondly, the statement on the back reputed to be by one John Boyne which read: “There are many laughs in this book . . . “

Now I am all for a good laugh, so I bought the book - and I am pleased I did so. It is a unlikely story for laughs for it tells the day by day tale of life in a care home in the Netherlands where Hendrick is to spend his last days. I have no wish to do the same, let me hasten to tell you, but it is a witty and highly funny book - which has had me laughing out loud.

I am also reading a heavy tome - but a fascinating one at that. It is entitled St Paul’s Cathedral - 1400 Years at the heart of London. I decided that as I attend services and other events at St. Paul’s - now that I am a Friend of St Paul’s - I needed to know something of the history of the place. And this large format book of 144 pages, liberally illustrated, is the best way to do so.



I usually laugh at meal times and do the history bit later in the evening - in case you wondered.