15 April 2017

Good Friday








I spent Good Friday in London. First, at the Savoy Chapel to hear Stainer's CRUCIFIXION. Yvonne and I sang in this on many Good Friday's past at St. Peter's. After a light lunch in Pret a Manger, I returned to St. Paul's Cathedral for Evening Prayer and the Liturgy for Good Friday and the Veneration of the Cross - 4pm to 6.45pm. Inspiring and peaceful. I had my camera, but it was not until I spotted the tulips that I took it from the camera case to photograph John Donne, one-time Dean of St. Paul's, who visited Aldborough Hatch in 1630, staying with his daughter (it's in my book 'Aldborough Hatch - The Village in the Suburbs - A HIstory' - page 106). I also shot the statue "Young Lovers' which stands to the south of the Cathedral and the statue at the top of the steps - the notice explains all. This shot took some time as tourists would keep standing by the statue to have their photographs taken! I doubt many of them had a clue what it was about for some stood with their arms round the figure, even hugging and kissing it! In the end I made clear that I wanted to figure only - and they stood back - but not for long!