29 April 2017

Socks in a national newspaper!



Since the EU Referendum last June I have been reading THE NEW EUROPEAN weekly newspaper. When it was first published, it was said that it would run for four week. Now - ten months on - it goes from strength to strength. I have a direct debit so that it comes in the post every Saturday.  I am, as you may have guessed, an ardent Remainer - and if that offends you, I am sorry but I make no apology. Like you, I am entitled to my views. So please do not get all virtuous and huffy! Life is far too short. Have a cup of cocoa or take a long walk off a short pier. Do something useful.

Apart from the obviously very serious news each week (such as the fact reported this week that the Deutsche Bank has announced that 4,000 jobs will move from London to Germany), there are some light-hearted columns in typically British style. One such column is about ‘Animal readers of THE NEW EUROPEAN’ where readers send photographs of their pets reading the newspaper.

This week my Socks features as you will see! Often at breakfast when I am reading THE GUARDIAN, Socks will sit on the table at the side of the paper, taking a lively interest in the news contained within its pages. On Saturdays when the postman brings TNE, Socks sits on the table, but adopts an expression of complete disinterest. I fear Socks may have voted Leave, but if he thinks the D**** M*** is coming into this house, he can think again and there will be no more treats or Gourmet suppers for him. And that is final! 

I hope you enjoy the story!