12 November 2017

To St Alban's





Saturday 11th November dawned bright, with sunshine scudding across the sky, but a cold wind none-the-less. Guy, who worked with me on SCOUTING Magazine in the late 1970s, generously agreed to drive me to and from St Alban's Cathedral to witness the Rector of Ampthill, the Revd Michael Trodden, installed as an Honorary Canon in the Cathedral. Guy lives and works in the City and is much involved in the Cathedral, so I had an excellent and knowledgeable guide and mentor. We lunched at the Waffle with waffles - what else! Coffee at Guy's gorgeous home in an Edwardian part of the City, then to the Cathedral. Snd he told me so much about the history as we moved along.

Michael was Vicar of St. Peter's Aldborough Hatch from 1987 to 1996, so I had not seen Mandy and Michael's children, Katie and Andrew in 21 years. They have grown somewhat!

Michael followed in his farther's footsteps in being installed as a Canon. A wonderful service followed by the chance to chat and mingle - and Peter and Amanda Schlotter were there too and others from the old days in the Hatch. Then home in the dusk and dark.

My sincere thanks to Guy for driving four ways just because I guess he thought I was a bit too old to go by public transport. And he was right!