18 July 2018

Brass and copper


I have spent the past hour in session number five of a possible seven - cleaning brass and copper, and washing glassware (taking great care with the Waterford). This was a task which Yvonne did for the best part of 57 years without complaint every two months or so - although she did say on some occasions that she would put bits of the brass away. In fact, I know that Yvonne did just that - for we had two trumpets once - I must search the house for them - they might be in the cupboard under the stairs, somewhere I have yet to explore. Johnny Warwicker, one of my Scouts, gave us one of the trumpets. I think his Mum got fed up with cleaning it.

Brass and copper cleaning is an exhausting business - physically. My arms ache after an hour of this! I use MASS which - unlike Brasso - lasts for six months - give of take a week or three. I have at least two more sessions to finish to job for this summer.

The photograph here shows just some of the brass and copper. The kettles are the most difficult to clean. The brass kettle belonged to Yvonne's mother who took it onto the common opposite their Suffolk home on picnics to boil water for tea. The large one foot high shell case was found by Yvonne'e father on the common during the war. I bought the brass plate on the mantlepiece in about 1958 for ten bob in an antique shop in the City. My salary at that time was about a fiver! So every piece has a story for the family.

Hence I will continue cleaning as long as I am able. Yvonne would not want it any other way. But one hour at a time is as much as I can cope with.