10 April 2016

St. Paul's to Greenwich and Home!















I cannot remember jokes. But I have now remembered two, both told at St. Paul’s Cathedral. The first was a Christmas joke. The second came today at Eucharist at the start of the Sermon by the Chancellor, Canon in Residence, Mark Oakley.
A parish had a very unpopular Vicar who was arrogant and generally unpleasant, whilst his sermons droned in for ever and ever and even long than that. The parochial church council finally plucked up the courage to ask him to leave. “I will leave when Jesus tells me to,” said the Vicar. A year passed and again the Vicar was asked to leave. “As I said last year, I will leave when Jesus tells me to do so,” said the Vicar. Another year passed and the Vicar announced at the beginning of the Service that he would be leaving next day, whereupon the organist burst into a hearty rendering of “What a friend we have in Jesus!”
Following the service at St. Paul’s, I caught the Number 15 bus to Tower Hill, a river boat to Greenwich and the Docklands Light Railway to Stratford. On the DLR, where there are driver-less trains operated by computers, I discovered that we no longer have train drivers or guards, for a notice informed me: “Please do not distract the Passenger Service Agent when the train is being operated from the front.” Passenger Service Agent, my foot!
But it was a good day in warm spring sunshine and with my Freedom pass the only transport cost was £3.50 on the river!