12 April 2016

Tis Springtime in my garden!





Tis Springtime in Aldborough Hatch!

One indoor plant on display in my porch here in sunny Aldborough Hatch for passers by to enjoy is the brilliant orange Ornithogalum dubium, commonly called Wonder Flower, Star of Bethlehem, Orange Star Flower or Snake Flower. It is a native of South Africa where it grows up to a foot tall and blooms with clusters of 15 to 20 blossoms each with six petals. It has been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit. Mine was purchased at a local garden centre and will be nurtured with great care in the hope that it will continue to bloom each year.

Also coming into bloom in the Shubberries are the brilliant Bluebells - a sure that Spring has arrived.


As the two shots demonstrate, there is much to be done in my garden but I have made a start - the wildflower meadow (!) on the right in the first shot has been seeded and some self-seeded plants are already coming through. Wooden logs have been treated with preservative, whilst in some placed weeds are being cultivated for they are wild flowers in the wrong place. Corms dried over winter in the greenhouse are being potted up, whilst I have enough hanging basket tomato plants to serve all my neighbours and my own needs - the latter are considerable for I enjoy a tomato straight from the plant.