28 February 2017

I have just seen Lake Como, St. Mary’s Island Whitley Bay, Derby, Portugal and the Criterion Hotel (from a horse drawn omnibus).

I have just seen Lake Como, St. Mary’s Island Whitley Bay, Derby, Portugal and the Criterion Hotel (from a horse drawn omnibus). I have read about the Survivors (those born before 1940) and the Poem on why Poppies are red with a black centre. And I have experienced all the colours of the rainbow, mainly in straight lines - and all from my kitchen, would you believe?

You see, in a weak moment (for I experience many) I volunteered to go onto the rota to wash tea towels and towels used in the church hall kitchen. And my first rota day had to be last Sunday - the day of the St. Peter’s Winter Lunch when some 50 or so sat down to a three course meal (I was on the washing-up team using those very same tea towels). 

And all those places, poems and colours were featured in the 15 tea towels I have just ironed (together with two of my own and some dozen or so handkerchiefs)!

They went into the washing machine on Monday together with some ten towels. The sun shone - then it rained and the sun shone again - and later it rained. I brought the tea towels indoors finally and dried them here - but the towels remain on the washing line in the garden - having had a good dry this morning only to be washed by rain again this afternoon. They can stay there until they are dry - and they will not be ironed for you do not iron towels.

I thought you would like to know this! Although you may prefer not to be informed of such mundane matters - in which case, my apologies