7 August 2018

Sunny day's ride

This morning I went by my mobility scooter to Fairlop Waters via the footpath at the side of Aldborough Road North from St. Peter’s to the Aldborough Hall Equestrian Centre. It seemed from a causal examination from the roadway by car that I might not get all the way there without having to go into the road, but this proved not to be the case. I was able to stay on the footpath all the way. Navigating round two telegraph poles was a little tricky but not impossible - I just went very slowly at this point.  Avoiding stinging nettles was an art.

This will be my preferred route to Fairlop Waters. It is shorter than going via Oaks Lane and  Aldborough Hatch Farm and also avoid any possible encounter with the Tenant or his henchmen.

I called to see Mary Garrett. As I drove up the permissive footpath from the Equestrian Centre I spotted a small group ahead. Who should it be but Simon Treacy of Brett Tarmac, Michael Woodridge, Redbridge Council’s land agent, and Alayna Stapleton of Redbridge Planning!

Alayna shook my hand in greeting, Simon could hardly believe his eyes that it was me and Michael said nowt! I asked if they had been to see the route for the Haul Road and they said that they had. Simon mumbled something about various options. I decided not to engage in any discussion - I am not totally mad - and wished them a cool day before driving off into the sunshine.

I drove on, picking blackberries on the way to the Farm Shop in Forest Road where I lashed out on fresh fruit which later today I will box and freeze. I hope I will have time to make some apple and blackberry crumbles - using apples from the Dick Turpin orchard which I froze last autumn and today’s blackberries. 

But first I need a lie down after all this excitement.