13 January 2016

Church-sitting - two visitors!



I spent this morning church-sitting – a duty some of us carry out on rota. St. Peter’s church is open from 10am to 12noon on Wednesdays in the winter and also on Mondays in the summer. Some mornings you do not see a soul. Not today!

First Chris Gannaway (of the Aldborough Hatch Defence Association) and Stephanie Irvine (Project Manager, The Urban Orchard Project) called in following a meeting at the Dick Turpin with a representative of Miller & Carter, who have the lease from Redbridge Council. The representative was very helpful and readily agreed that the orchard trees behind the Dick Turpin and also those in the grounds of Cuckoo Hall could form part of an orchard project funded by the Heritage Lottery. That is great news – for at long last, subject to the Heritage Lottery agreement, we have a chance to renovate the area around Cuckoo Hall and, later, Cuckoo Hall itself. There are a few hurdles to jump first – but this could happen!

Secondly a lady who lives in south east London called in. The lady is retired and has set herself the task of visiting every London Underground station – and exploring the surrounding area. I gave her a potted history of St. Peter’s and told her a bit about the area.

Both visits have convinced me that I need to update my book Aldborough Hatch – The Village in the Suburbs – A History for I am sure that both ladies would buy a copy – but it is now out of print. I must set myself a target date – like yesterday – and get down to the work.