7 January 2016

Let's eat grandma!

Today I  have been invigilating maths GCSE mock exams at Oaks Park High School. The sports hall could not contain all the pupils taking the exam so a dozen or so students sat their paper in a classroom. Pam and I were despatched for the first hour to invigilate there. It so happened that the classroom was part of the English Department which meant that I could read the notices on the walls whilst keeping a weather eye open to make sure the students did not fall off their chairs if they were asleep (which one lad appeared to be). The misuse of commas and apostrophes is something that in written publications and posters makes me very stressed and so I was pleased to note that these matters are being taught with some care at Oaks Park. The following two sentences caught my eye – and I trust that you will know where to insert the commas, Cedric, or it is back to school for you, never mind the fact that you are a pensioner!

 

“Let’s eat grandma.”

 

“I like eating my dog and my grandparents.”