29 January 2016

I will not be taken for a ride

I am not mean. Indeed, I like to think I have a generous spirit. But I do find it very annoying when traders try to take me for a ride. For more years than I care to remember, Yvonne bought my aftershave and it is only recently that I have discovered just how expensive some of these brands are. So I decided to go back to my youth and  buy Brut for everyday use. In one large store the aftershave is priced at £7.50, which seemed reasonable when compared with others - until I spotted the very same bottle in its box in another chain store priced at £3.50.

I have no objection to paying a little more for some goods at my local newsagent for it is convenient to be able to walk down the road if you run out of milk or bread or some such. But buy a tube of mints or fruit pastilles in London and the price will vary from 60p to a pound. Yet in the pound shops I buy a packet of four tubes for a pound!

I now buy my meat at the butcher in Leyswood Drive and go to Aldi for my weekly basic shopping. The meat is good quality, priced fairly. At Aldi the choice is  not as wide as at the major supermarkets - but bread  is bread, bananas are bananas - and I save at least 50% of my outlay. Which means that, from time to time, I can treat myself to something a bit special - and not feel too guilty about it.

Today I walked round Romford Market, buying some fresh vegetables and salted peanuts from Yvonne's favourite stall. All fresh and served with a smile as the wind whistled direct from the far north!