7 January 2016

First snowdrops of 2016




The first snowdrops have burst into flower in my front garden and are featured in today’s ILFORD RECORDER together with a shot of the winter jasmin and winter pansies splashed with raindrops.

Last spring I happened to mention to Pat that I had little luck with snowdrops flowering after the first year. You must buy them “in the green”, Pat told me. And do I went online and discovered that I could buy from a nursery in Somerset. I ordered my “in the green” snowdrops at a cost of £25 and was somewhat dismayed and flummoxed when just one bulb arrived. Fear not, said Pat, for next year you will have two or three blooms and each year they will increase until after a decade you will have a veritable field of snowdrops that will be the envy of the neighbours. Well, Pat was right for this year I have two flowers with a possible third creeping up in the background. I have the spot clearly marked for should I pop my clogs, Heather will dig them up to transfer to her garden. For we cannot allow an investment of £25 to get lost can we? The yellow winter jasmin has been in my front garden for some 25 years or more. One Christmas Una brought a small root from a plant in her garden and it has blossomed every year in the hardest of winters. The winter pansies were purchased on Ilford Hill and sit in two baskets on the fence. And the forecast is for snow next week!