8 July 2017

How did I end up at Euston!



















I set out to go to Broadway Market in Hackney and ended up at the Angel Islington and Euston. It is a long story but I will keep it short for the evening is warm. The Central Line to Bethnal and a bus and there it was – just as I found it a few years ago.  And the outdoor table tennis stone table was still there – it was the first one I had seen i9n London and now they are everywhere.

Walking through the stalls I sussed out where I might but a piece of cheese and some fresh crusty bread for my supper. The chicken and ham pie looked tempting at £4 a slice. I asked the young lady to cut it up for me – and it crumbled. The man standing by – her father perhaps? – told her to give me another piece but I said I wanted to eat it and I like crumbly pastry. You can have it for two quid, the man said – and they both laughed as I took their photograph. Sitting on a wall in the park to eat, O told a lady who was there with her daughter about the pie. They both laughed too!

There were few strawberries to be seen so I bought two packs of raspberries which will go well with the meringues and fresh cream we are having for Sunday lunch. The man assured me they came from a very good farm and I believed him! The Regents Canal was calm with a slight breeze which made watching the antics at the lock pleasurable – as I did not have to heave the gates open.

I spotted that a bus would take me to the Angel Islington and here I noted that another bus would go to Liverpool Street Station. What I failed to notice, however, was the direction in which the bus I boarded was going – until it struck me that Euston is not Liverpool Street. It was hot! A bus to Holborn and another took me where I wanted to go.

There is something about London Markets that fascinate. My favourite of Borough, but Broadway comes a close second. I heard it said that the square in BBC TV’s EastEnders was based on Broadway Market. Although Broadway is one long street and not a square!