31 July 2017

Preparing the garden!




I spent today in the garden - preparing for the Garden Coffee Morning on Saturday next to raise funds for The Children's Society. The recent rain and sun have combined to make things grow at a fast rate - so some cutting back was needed to enable those who are so minded to reach the summerhouse (shed-with-the-overhang) without having their eyes scratched out! As it is they will have tp navigate though the lavender and the wildflowers that have gone to seed.
The foxglove has burst into flower - Digitalis Purpurea ‘Sutton’s Apricot’ to be precise! I bought the plant at Columbia Road Flower Market one Sunday in August last year. I took the plant to St. Paul's Cathedral for Sung Eucharist - the market only opens on Sundays. It caused some amusement amongst the stewards and a wry smile from one of the Canons. I saved the seeds. Five germinated but only one survived in spite of my tender loving care over some weeks in the greenhouse. And now it is in flower!
Tumbling Tom Tomatoes are ripening - both red and yellow varieties, whilst the Minibel are coming along too.
And the strawberry seeds which Heather gave me in the spring are in flower with one or two strawberries forming - all in a bucket.
Visitors will be encouraged to pick and eat the tomatoes (so get here early - we open at 10am) but NOT the strawberries for they are too small and green!
But I cannot sit here writing - I need to get some sleep so that I am fit for tomorrow's task - teak oiling the benches - a task that must be done if the timbers are to be preserved. One bench is 14 years old, the other some seven years.