30 December 2018

Christmas at St. Paul's


Many of my friends will know that I take part in services and events at St. Paul's Cathedral here in London. I started to go to St. Paul's when Yvonne was first taken unwell. I needed somewhere quiet and especially so after Yvonne passed away some four years ago.

On one of my very early Sunday mornings a Steward came up to me, shook me by the Scout handshake (the right hand) and said my name. He remembered me as Editor of SCOUTING. Since then one other Steward - a lady - makes a point of speaking to me. The lady showed Jenefer and me around during a special event for new Friends - for I am now a Friend of St. Paul's.

Two of the Canons, the Dean and the Chaplain now speak to me as friends. In addition to Sunday services, I enjoy events such as the Messiah, the Celebration of Christmas, the Advent Procession - alone or with Jenefer, Paul and Guy. Graham, Richard and Heather have joined me too. On weekdays I try to attend the 5pm Service of Sung Evensong from time to time. I sit on the far left - for at 4.45pm one of the Wandsmen invites the first 60 or so to sit in the choir. That is a wonderfully fulfilling time of quiet thought.

On Christmas Eve the BBC broadcast an hour long programme - 'Christmas at St. Paul's'. I have just watched it on BBC iplayer and would urge my friends to do likewise. I guess it was filmed 12months ago because Canon Michael Hempel is now at Durham Cathedral. He and the Revd Helen O'Sullivan, Chaplain, were very kind to me when I attended a Service to remember the faithful departed and at other times.

If you can take the time to watch, I believe you will see why I find it a place of peace - somewhere that allows me to be quiet.

This year I sat near the choirboy who sang the first verse of 'Once in Royal David City' - a verse I sang as a chorister at St. Peter's Aldborough Hatch in the 1940s. It was a very special moment.

I took this shot of St. Paul's this Christmas - for I believe that no outdoor photograph of the Cathedral is complete without a Red London Bus!

May I wish my friends a Very Happy, Peaceful New Year.