10 December 2018

Twice a year!


I am about halfway through the twice yearly brass and copper cleaning and glassware washing - thanks to Lakeland's MASS I only do this twice a year. Brass and copper, said Yvonne, make the home look warm, inviting and homely. I agreed - and Yvonne polished and washed. Now it is my turn. I ask myself twice a year if I should not put it all away or sell it or hand it on - but then when I have polished and washed, I sit back and admire it all.

Here is just a small part - on the mantlepiece in the lounge. The brass plate cost me 10 shillings from an antique shop - long since gone - near the Old Bailey in the 1960s. The candlesticks belonged to Yvonne's mother. A family heirloom - so no selling or passing on.

We had a post horn and a smaller horn which I recall Yvonne put away some years ago. I am unsure where they are - possibly in the cupboard under the stairs which I have yet to explore - well there are only so many hours in the day! Perhaps one of my good friends will volunteer - I will hold the torch.

I have set aside tomorrow to complete the task.