31 December 2018

New Year Revolution!

I have made a New Year Resolution! In truth, it arises because from time to time my lovely daughter, Heather, turns into Yvonne to give me a good telling off! This time there were two telling-offs.

The first was about the number of books I now have in piles on the floor in the lounge as I have run out of bookshelves. I buy books and have them given to me - and I read them. Heather suggested - would you believe it! - that I mighty dispose of the books I have not read for some time. What a preposterous suggestion! I did not let Heather know that I also have books in the bedroom. I dismissed the idea out of hand. You never know then I might want to read J B Priestley or Rumpole! The former in Penguin paperback priced at two shillings and three pence circa 1949. They must be worth a mint now!

The second telling-off concerns the office. And this is the subject of my New Year Revolution - well it is, I can tell you! I am to clear the office of old papers and for this to happen I am shortly leaving the homestead to travel to Ilford to buy a replacement paper shredder. So I cannot hang about here writing - and there is washing to be hung out to dry for I have done one washing machine load while I have been writing this!

May I wish all my readers - and that includes you, Cedric - a Very Happy, Prosperous and Peaceful New Year. I am, as you may realise, a Remainer and long may we Remain! If you do not agree that is your choice (but do not try to tell me what to think, thank you very much!). I lived through the Blitz in the 1939-45 war and the years of austerity that followed - and I do not want all that over again, thank you for asking. Sweets were on ration until 1952 and I did not see a banana till 1947 - let alone eat one!

Happy Days! Keep smiling!