20 December 2018

Forgive me!

I trust I might be forgiven for laughing, but it is nearly Christmas. My friends will know that I have an aversion to those round robin letters that some good folk tuck inside their Christmas cards - and if you are one of those, forgive for I am sure you mean well.

You see, they so often come from friends who have named their children Sebastian and Esmeralda, who always - but always - do the right thing, are top of the class in whatever they attempt and are just brilliant no matter what! I read them, come down to earth and smile. Nothing ever goes wrong and all is brightness and light, for they have tails that are so bushy that they sweep the leaves away as they trot through the forest glade, singing and dancing and smiling and cavorting (whatever that maybe, although it sounds painful) without a trouble in the world where all is sweetness and light.

But I have just received one such letter that made me laugh aloud. It is not really funny at all, as you will see, but the way the words came off the paper sent a wave of naughty hilarity through my tired and nearly worn out frame. It read:

"It has not been a good year for me health wise, starting with flu picked up on a New Year cruise and finishing with eight weeks of shingles, with other problems in between." (I am spared the details!) "I go to be measured for elastic stockings this afternoon as my last leg injury took 3.5 months to heal." (Again, I am spared the details) "I went for a Rome to Seville cruise in June and spent two weeks in Tunisia in November - we now take my wheelchair as my mobility is not good . . . I hope we do not have the volume of snow we had this year - I threw seed out for the birds from my lounge window. Thank goodness for Tesco deliveries."

See what I mean? Happy Christmas - and have a great New Year!