29 October 2017

My iPhone and me

I have an iPhone - I believe. My eldest son very generously decided that I needed to have one. And very good it is too. And I am most grateful. I wish you to know this.

There are all sorts of magical things including a location section whereby Graham knows where I am and I know where he is. Which is very useful should I fall over in London somewhere and need collecting and bringing home. Equally, it enables me to see where my eldest son is each day - and if he is in London, we are able to occasionally meet up. Perhaps I should be able track Richard and Heather in this way. I must talk to them about this.

Its accuracy is somewhat doubtful, however. When Graham was in Newcastle it appeared that he was wallowing about in the River Tyne, whereas he assured me he was in the best hotel in town.

But things are added to the iPhone without my knowledge. Take this week. An icon (I think this is the term) marked MAPS appeared from nowhere. I did not invite it. It just appeared. And it told me today that if I want to drive from my home in Aldborough Hatch to see my eldest son in sunny Dorset its would take me two hours and 36 minutes, but if I were to walk it would eat up a whole day and 14 hours.

Now I do not wish to enter into an argument with my iPhone, but whilst I accept that driving could be accomplished in two hours and 36 minutes (or even less if Richard is driving), I cannot for the life of me believe that I could walk the 107 miles in a day and 14 hours. A week, perhaps, or a month, a year maybe - depending on how many stops on the way.

The MAPS icon also tells me that I may travel by transport, but I would need to start at Barkingside Police Station. I will do not such thing!

I decided to try out the walking bit - and heard a lady telling me that I should turn right after a quarter of a mile onto the A12. But I have decided against doing so for it is dark and Socks wants his supper.